Aspen Creek Sawmill School, 1929-1931
Back row (L to R): unknown, Ethyl Franks, Margaret Black, Albert Lenew,
unknown, George franks, and teacher Ruth Denton.
Front row: P. Nations, Daniel Nations, unknown, Barney Black,
Rob Nations, unknown, unknown.
This school was located west on Highway 160 from Del Norte, turning left onto Pinos Creek (County Road 14) for approximately twelve miles to where a locked metal gate and dirt road can be seen on the right side of Pinos Creek Road. The Aspen Creek School and sawmill were located about two more miles up this small dirt road, winding south and west from the locked gate, on the west branch of Pinos Creek. The one-room, frame school was perched on a little hill about three hundred yards northeast of the sawmill and close to the junction of the two creeks. The schoolhouse is no longer there, and the land belongs to the Forest Service." by Joan Pace Hanna in her article titled "Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rithmetic in the Early Rural Schools of Del Norte (Part 3)